The <span class="highlight">Trak</span> <span class="highlight">Shak</span> made it home :))

Submitted: Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:55
ThreadID: 71011 Views:4431 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
We went for a leisurely drive on Saturday down to the King Toads place. So we could pick up the "Brand New", second-hand Trak Shak Sunday Morning.

This was also the first long drive in Darkie since I had the Injectors done and the fuel economy has definitely improved. I used to get 16L/100km unloaded on highway runs and for the trip on Saturday Darkie returned 14.2L/100km.
I will have to refuel to get the stats for travelling with a trailer. But from that result I am pretty happy :))

We spent the night at the King Toads place in his van as he had a full house, the kids loved it as they thought they were camping LOL.
Ross H rolled in after night shift Sunday morning for a quick chat before we headed over to pick the Trak Shak up.

We found the place the Trak Shak was and had a quick run through with the old owner, found our kids (they were busy playing with the old owners kids) and we hit the road.

I reckon that there is no need to throw a Turbo on Darkie as there were no issues towing in regards to power required ;)
We spotted the Geriatric Gypsies heading south near the Glass House Mountains, They didn't answer the UHF (they were busy hunting for free dunny rolls and taps ;). A quick call on the mobile had them worried they were being followed LOL

The Trak Shak compared to my Off-road Box Trailer is easier to manouver (being lighter does that LOL) when not connected to the vehicle.

I do not like the Stone Guard arrangement :( I have already lost one of the mounting frames as it seems to have fallen out of the receiver socket on the trip. So it could be any where from Gin Gin and Calliope. So I am now going to have to manufactur a new one and sort out the reciever to prevent it from falling out. I would love to hear from other owners as to how they have done this. As I am now concerned as to how effective this is especially since it failed on a sealed road and not on lesser grade roads.

I also now have to sort out the power to the back of Darkie to connect the Trak Shak Battery up.
What is the Max cable size that will fit into a 50 amp Anderson plug??

I am also going to replace the Battery that came in the Trak Shak so am I better getting an AGM or just a Sealed Deep Cycle??

Looking forward to the test run in St George, and then again a few weeks later in the Pyrenees.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:12

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:12
G/Day Kev
Good to see you are getting things sorted out, we don't want Mark G bragging that he had to follow behind you so he could pick up all the bits that had fallen off lol lol.

PS. You and the family should get many years of good use out of it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 376375

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:16

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:16
The Camper is already booked in for 7 weeks of use this year already Daza LOL.

Mark would have to be following in his Missan navara as he wouldn't be able to keep up with Darkie LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643760

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:03

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:03
hey Daza........i found a wheel,do you know who owns it???????

hahahahahahha
FollowupID: 643856

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:37

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:37
That wheel is probably the steering wheel from ya truck that was hiding in ya guts when you got behind the wheel hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643863

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:25

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:25
Hi Sir Kev,
So when are you joining us on the big trip now that you have the accommodation sorted lol. We would have just missed you in the glass house mountains. We stayed there wed/thurs night then went to Australia Zoo on friday and then down to wet n wild on sat. Left Brisbane at 8:40 Sunday morning and arrived at mum & dads in Echuca at 7:00 this morning for breaky. They thought we were arriving wed so a nice surprise for them. Man it's cold down here, I want to go back to the cape.
We found the trojans to be a really good battery in the trailer. Send us a photo of the shak on the back of Darkie if you get a chance, would love to see it. We will be in Tassie in about 7 weeks then we look for a house. If you head south sometime drop in.

Josh
AnswerID: 376381

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:37

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:37
Josh,

I thought you have a house .................... it connects to the 80 Series LOL

Good to see you are still getting about. Was there any water leaks at Wet and Wild?? Cause I think that there will be after Steve and Denny leave LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643776

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:22

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:22
Good call Kev,
Might be looking for one that doesn't flat in the wind lol. Might even be selling the cruiser soon????? Will sell as like new - only done one trip hahaha. It's been a great ride though.

Josh
FollowupID: 643782

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:33

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:33
I heard there is someone in Penrith who is looking for a decent vehicle, seeing as he traded a Pootrol for a Poojero and now the Poojero is in need of a new motor LOL.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643794

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:01

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 14:01
Hi Josh,
I might send you a MM soon, as we are planning to take our kids to the theme parks and Australia Zoo in the Xmas holidays this year for a Dec - Jan trip we are currently planning. Had a look at your pics in your profile and think your kids are around the same age as ours or a bit younger so would be interested to get your thoughts on a few things. It's not a camping trip so I won't bore everyone else with the details. Hope you don't mind if I do this via MM?
Michelle.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 643804

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:22

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 18:22
Don't worry about taking a cut lunch Michelle, as I just heard on the news that they have banned all food except fruit and bottled water at the theme parks :((

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643857

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:12

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:12
Figures - pay a fortune to be captive audience for a junk food overload/overspend. This will be just one of the many things to dislike about this sort of trip, but we gave in the kids whining and the next trip planned will be the 2010 National Gathering in Wiluna and beyond so it will balance out! MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 643878

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 08:50

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 08:50
At the theme parks you can do what a few of us do.

Get a temporary pass out at lunch time and go and eat the lunch you brought with you in the car. Find a shady tree near by for the eating.

You are allowed to take fruit and water in.
FollowupID: 643923

Follow Up By: Karen & Geoff - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 16:46

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 16:46
Hi Michelle. Geoff and I have just been to the Australian Zoo and we had lunch there and could not get over how reasonable the prices were for the food. We actually thought it was cheaper than just having take away at home for a night. And the food was absolutely delicious as well. Admittedly we don't have kids, but we can eat just about the same amount as if we did have ...........lol. The zoo is wonderful, we spent the whole day there and got kicked out at closing time. We were waiting at the gate when it opened. Went to both shows (you have to see them) and just kept wandering around. Poured rain for the first 4 hours, but brought ponchos from there for $3.50 and off we went. $52 per adult, but I would have paid $152, the enclosures are so clean, and the animals are just great.
Karen
FollowupID: 643969

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:30

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:30
Glad you are happy with it Kev, the few teething problems you have will no doubt be sorted pretty quickly.

We hope you & your family have many safe trips with it & that it provides lots of happy memories for you all. Cheers & best wishes.
AnswerID: 376394

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:35

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:35
Barry,

Teething problem are pretty standard whether buying new or secondhand.

It was bought sight unseen just took the word of another great bloke who frequents this site, Ross H (he's a QUEENSLANDER as well Barry hahaha).

So it should be ready to rock and roll in September for the Gathering.

Are you attending the Gathering?? I have a signed Queensland jersey for you ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643775

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:51

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:51
Hi Kev
As much as we would like to make it to the St. George gathering we are not able to, as we are leaving Newcastle mid September & heading up Cairns way, we are attending a wedding on Magnetic Island 4th October.

Most things are ready to roll, although my HR brake controller is playing up. What sort do you use & where could I get one? And can they be obtained quickly etc? Perhaps you could use the signed jumber for the dunces prize at the gathering? LOL & cheers
AnswerID: 376397

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:34

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:34
Kev,

I am sure you will be happy with the Trak Shak. I have been towing mine all over the place for the last 13 years.

I have never had a problem with the stone guard other than wearing out the shade cloth. Even after clobbering a roo (last seen heading into the bush at a great rate of knots) I only had to hammer the receiver back into line.

As for batteries I have three batteries that are all basically the same, 2 in the car and the 3rd on the TS. For a connection I use a 12 pin flat plug with as large a cable as will fit. (Can't remeber what size it is right now.) Others will tell you this is not a good arrangement but it has been working, trouble free for about 8 or 9 years. A couple of weeks ago I came out to start the car and had a flat battery so I took the battery out of the TS and fitted it to the car. That is one of the reasons I use the same type of battery, it is nice to have the redundancy.

When parked at home I plug in a small solar panel ($30 from BigW) to keep the battery topped up and I take this panel with me while travelling. I figure every little bit helps.

I also have the same wheels on car and trailer, again that built in redundancy.

I know you will enjoy living with the TS, mine has done thousands of kilometres and the only problems with it I have caused. It is as tough as nails, convenient to use and comfortable.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to MM me.
Duncs
AnswerID: 376399

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:26

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:26
The Trak Shak comes with a 50amp Anderson plug for the battery charging so I just need to run the cable and fit an Anderson to the back of Darkie.

I think the reciever mount for the stone guard vibrated loose and fell out, by the time I got flagged down about it the reciever mount and bracket were long gone. So I am going to fabricate a new one this weekend hopefully.

I'll keep the battery charged at home with Ctek.

Mine looks like it has done a fair bit of beach work so I'll also be getting under it and removing all the surface rust and resealing that as well. That is going to be fun :(

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643790

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:25

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:25
Kev,

I have 10sq mm double insulated flex (.6/1kv) in my anderson plug, the flex is rated at more than 50amps, I think that is about the largest you will get in.

Have a good one with your new toy
AnswerID: 376405

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:28

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:28
Meant to put in that the cable is 240v and not automotive.
FollowupID: 643791

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:32

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 13:32
I think, I can get away with 8sq mm due to the length of the run (about 5m).
Although would like someone to confirm this LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643793

Reply By: ozexplorer - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 15:59

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 15:59
Hi Sir Kev

When you find the mount for your stone guard, you will probably find one of ours in that region as well. Lost it last year some time.

You can contact Trak Shak and they will sell you a set for about $30.

We have sold our Track Shak & gone soft, buying an off road caravan, but had a great time in ours.

The stone guard was the only problem we ever encountered, you and your family will have a great time in it.

Regards

Suellen
AnswerID: 376431

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 16:02

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 16:02
Sueellen,

I am now going to secure the stone guard in a similar method to how the stabiliser legs are secure to length.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643828

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:01

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:01
goodday kev
we do apologise for not waving bck but we autopilot on and were busy counting the brass taps
was busy negotiating a bloody dill who pulled out and was only doing 80ks in the 100k zone and with the van on we did need to do some negotiaiting
anyway we are pleased it tows well for you and the family

enjoy

steve & denny
AnswerID: 376456

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:05

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 19:05
We had a good way of entertaining Ashley and helping her maths, we counted all the Army vehicles that were returning from Shoalwater Bay. All up we saw 261 vehicles. They were either Landrovers, Bushmasters, Auslavs, Macks, S-Liners, and assorted white fleet.

See you in St George LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643874

Reply By: dthomas - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 21:00

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 21:00
hi kev

hope you enjoy your trak shak we have just completed 7300km with ours 97model have had no trouble with stoneguard .as for wiring anderson plug we have used 6 b&s wiring along with redarc solenoid works a treat. with 70amphr battery get 3 days with waeco @ -2 degrees then hook back onto vehicle when towing to next destination and this tops up battery to capacity no worries

cheers thommo
AnswerID: 376486

Reply By: Mark Howlett - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 21:49

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 21:49
I was concerned about the stone guard holders too, but after 25,000km in 6 months last year, we had no troubles. We find our stone guard is quite tight, so maybe your mesh has stretched and the upright bars wobble too much? I replaced our battery (normal starter type) with a 100A/Hr Commander Gel battery from Battery World. Out of our 47L Evakool Fridge/Freezer and trailer lights (mix of LED and one fluoro), we managed 2 to 3 days before needing to recharge. This was over summer down south and heading up north April/May.

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 376500

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 07:56

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 07:56
Mark,

That is quite possible that the mesh has stretched and the upright bars wobble causing the disapearance of the whole passenger side mounting system and upright LOL.

All the battery will be running is LED lights and the 60l Engel so around the 100 - 120A/Hr battery should be good for a couple of days without needing recharging, although we are considering getting a portable solar set up as well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643918

Sponsored Links